Its central location and accessibility makes Manchester the perfect base for exploring the north of England. Historic Chester, vibrant Liverpool and the stunning natural beauty of the Lake District and Peak District National Parks are within easy access, so there’s every reason to extend your stay in the region once your business is done.
One of Britain’s most popular cities, its bewitching beauty and unique atmosphere make Chester an unforgettable short break destination. Visit the infamous Chester Rows or take a stroll around the most complete Roman and Medieval town wall in Britain.
With breathtaking scenery and award-winning attractions, Durham is perfect for city breaks, coastal adventures and countryside escapes.
The Lake District is the most famous national park in England. Its beautiful scenery has been inspiration to writers such as Beatrix Potter and William Wordsworth.
Leeds boasts a heady mixture of arts, culture, heritage, shopping and a thriving food and drink scene. Spend a late night shopping in Trinity Leeds or delve into the history of Kirkstall Abbey.
Just 45 minutes from Manchester, Liverpool offers cultural highlights such as the Tate North Gallery and Walker Art Gallery. You can also relive the magic of the Beatles era with a visit to the world famous Cavern Club on a Magical Mystery Tour.
World-class culture, vibrant nightlife, award-winning dining, inspiring heritage, fantastic shopping and acclaimed architecture are linked here, as nowhere else, by the famous Geordie spirit.
Known and loved by millions for its breath-taking views, relaxation, inspiration and adventures, the Peak District National Park is a great place to extend your stay.
Renowned for its exquisite architecture, tangle of quaint cobbled streets, iconic York Minster and wealth of visitor attractions. York is a flourishing city, just over an hour away from Manchester.
BritRail England Pass
Explore with a BritRail England Pass and see more of Britain without ever worrying about having the right change or missing trains while finding a ticket booth.
This pass gives you unlimited rail travel throughout England and is available in a Consecutive Pass that lets you travel freely for days at a time, or a Flexi pass that gives you a spontaneity-inducing 2-month timeframe. You can discover the culture of Manchester, relax in the beautiful surroundings of the Lake District or soak up the atmosphere of Liverpool, where four young men turned music on its head.
And you’ll have the expertise of Rail Europe to guide you, along with the authenticity of traveling beside the British, replete with English manners. So come to England, where the whole kingdom awaits but you go right through.
Here's what you get:
• Unlimited travel on the rail network in England
• Consecutive pass available in 3, 4, 8, 15 or 22 days, or 1 month consecutive travel
• Flexipass available for 3, 4, or 8 days of consecutive or non-consecutive travel within a 1 month period, or 15 days of consecutive or non-consecutive travel within a 2 month period
• First or standard class available. First class prices take into account regions where only standard rail is available
• BritRail Family Pass: For each adult or senior traveler, one child (ages 5-15) travels free (not applicable with a saver pass)
• Child rates are valid for children ages 5-15
• Children under age 5 travel for free
• Saver pass for 3 or more traveling together
Find out more at britrail.net.